MP Setup failed due to unexpected circumstances
Stan
2008-03-09 22:05:01 UTC
Background info:
My SMS site database and program failed around the same time, my collections
all locked, then went empty. We tried to restore but it wouldn't, so I
deinstalled all the secondary sites then disconnected the primary from the
central site. I reinstalled SMS with the old site code onto my server that
are running SP2 and the MP server is running IIS 6 with BITS. Everything
went OK until I tried to install the MP which is on another server. Here is
what I get from the MPSetup.log:

MP Setup Started....
Parameters: \\(MP Server)\D$\SMS\bin\i386MPsetup.exe /install
/siteserver:(Site Server)
Installing the MP
Passed OS version check.
IIS Service is installed.
No versions of MP are installed. Installing new MP.
Enabling MSI logging. MP.MSI will log to D:\SMS\logs\MPMSI.log
Installing D:\SMS\bin\i386\mp.msi CCMINSTALLDIR="D:\SMS_CCM"
CCMSERVERDATAROOT="D:\SMS" CCMENABLELOGGING=TRUE CCMLOGLEVEL=1
CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=1
Unknown error code: 455989
[15:38:34] @@ERR:25001
Setup failed due to unexpected circumstances
The error code is 80004005
MP.MSI exited with return code: 1603
Backing up MPMSI.log to D:\SMS\logs\MPMSI.log.LastError
Fatal MSI Error - MP.MSI could not be installed.

The only thing I could find on Microsoft was that the error codes indicated
I did not have BITS installed or I am missing a service pack. I already have
SP2 but reinstalled it just in case that was the error, but no help. I
uninstalled IIS, rebooted, installed IIS without BITS, rebooted, forced a
reinstall of the MP and got:

MP Setup Started....
Parameters: \\IBCDENSMS02\D$\SMS\bin\i386\MPsetup.exe /install
/siteserver:IBCDENSMS01
Installing the MP
Passed OS version check.
IIS Service is installed.
No versions of MP are installed. Installing new MP.
Enabling MSI logging. MP.MSI will log to D:\SMS\logs\MPMSI.log
Installing D:\SMS\bin\i386\mp.msi CCMINSTALLDIR="D:\SMS_CCM"
CCMSERVERDATAROOT="D:\SMS" CCMENABLELOGGING=TRUE CCMLOGLEVEL=1
CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=1
@@ERR:25051
Internet Information Services BITS support is not installed
MP.MSI exited with return code: 1603
Backing up MPMSI.log to D:\SMS\logs\MPMSI.log.LastError
Fatal MSI Error - MP.MSI could not be installed.

This is the error I was expecting since I didn't have BITS installed. I
Installed BITS, then again forced a reinstall of the MP..... Same errors as
the first log. I hate unexpected circumstances!!!

So, anyone got any ideas? I really need to get this working again since I
was in the middle of a big security push.

Thanks in advance

Stan
Sherry Kissinger [MVP-SMS]
2008-03-09 23:28:00 UTC
In doing a quick google search of 80004005 errors in relationship with
Management Points, got this hit:
http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m_140520/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#140520 which
appears to point to ensuring that the server destined to be your MP has
rights to create objects within the AD System Management container.
--
Standarize. Simplify. Automate.
Stan
Stan
2008-03-10 16:38:03 UTC
Sherry, thanks but I found this in my log:
SMS-MP-XXX-SERVERNAME successfully created.~
$$<SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER><Sun Mar 09 14:36:47.556 2008 Mountain Daylight
Time><thread=2824 (0xB08)> Granted SERVERNAME$ security permissions in AD.

It would help if it was more specific with the unexpexcted circumstances. :-)
--
Stan
Stan
Stan